Sunday, January 9, 2011

A pair of trousers, striped fabric.


A couple of weeks ago I came along the Amsterdam Dapper market. Of course I had to take a look at the stall, run by a couple that for many years has been selling there all kind of  fabrics.

This time they had this nice striped one, and I thought it would be fine to make a pair of trousers from this fabric..

So I did. The picture above shows the result.

I have two basic patterns to make trousers. One is the jeans type, with front pockets. The other is the one I made this time, it has pockets in the side seam.

In my opinion, making these pockets is fun. Let me indicate why.

You start with the pattern like in the next picture.


The visible part of the pocket entrance is fixed in the upper right corner (or for the pocket vice versa in the upper left of the mirrored pattern), good side up.


.Then the item is folded vertical on the center line, and wow, it begins to look like a pocket. The one pictured here is the pocket on the left side of the trousers. The one on the right side has to be mirrored of course.


The funny aspect for me is, that when busy, you have to imagine all the time how to model the parts to achieve a good result. Before stitching the pocket to the front part of the leg, you have to make some mental acrobatics too. Kind of dimensional thinking, which for me is fun to do.

The pockets should be sewed to the front legs of the trousers, and then be completed by tapping the bottom of the pockets, before front and back parts of the legs are stitched together along the outside seam.

Making a pair of trousers has more aspects, but in this post I just wanted to deal with making pockets.

So with a big jump, here we are at the finished item:

frontview 



and reverse side




These trousers are nice to wear this winter, with the loads of snow we already had overhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment