Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Setting a sleeve into a jacket


Recently I have been making a jacket from a half woolen fabric with pinstripes. It will be kind of a jeans jacket and it probably is not very usual to have a pinstriped jeans jacket.

Well, I did like the pinstriped fabric. However, I do not like pinstriped classic suites. So I decided to give the jeans jacket model a try, and just await what would be the result.

The picture shows a mass of pins, meant to fix the sleeve into the jacket. That is my way of setting sleeves.

People in the clothing industry would not use such a lot of pins. They fix beginning, end and top of the sleeve and adjust the parts with their fingers, giving "ease" while stitching.  

There is a scholastic way of setting a sleeve into a jacket:  handsewing a thread in the upper part, pulling this thread slightly to "ease" the upper part, and then stitching the sleeve to the front/back part. 

Maybe I would use this trick when doing a classic outfit, but now I was doing something non-classic.

Well, all these pins may look like a mess, but when, after stitching, you turn the inside outwards, the result will be like this:


Nice, eh?

The pinstripes of the front and of the back are not exactly "in line". I have no idea if this would be a must. I have seen pictures of jackets from men's fashion shops with the same appearance, so I do not feel too bad about this.

And if anybody has something to say about this, I always can put forward this is kind of an artistic freedom, ha ha...

In a future post I will show the finished jacket.  I need some time to complete it

No comments:

Post a Comment